Dr. Stroud has consulted with 65 school systems, providing professional development for North Carolina K-12 science teachers, school system administrators and university science education personnel. She has assessed the science classrooms/laboratories in over 250 North Carolina middle / secondary schools using the Customized Comprehensive Science Safety Laboratory Program, (C²S²LP) to develop a Chemical Hygiene Plan and build a sustainable science safety program. S&SCS has also assessed the art, custodial, cafeteria and vocational education programs in several North Carolina school systems to aid school systems in developing comprehensive safety programs for the total school.
Learn more about our staff.
Linda Stroud Recognized as 2013 Healthy Schools Hero
Read about the award and Linda's award winning work in science and school safety.
Essential Elements for Laboratory Safety
The laboratory is a vital setting in which science is experienced. Inquiry is documented as a preferred science instructional design by the National Science Education Standards (NSES). To establish a safe and healthy learning environment for school employees and students, Science & Safety Consulting Services provides:
- A knowledge base for school administrators, teachers and staff
- Recommended strategies to develop a school safety culture
- Organizational and evaluation tools a Customized Comprehensive School Safety Program
- Short-term and long-term planning for school safety for schools & school systems
- Existing policy support for school safety by local, state and federal agencies
- An understanding of liability for school administrators and teachers
- Continual safety updates and consultative services for school systems
- Certifies fume hoods
We provide strategies for compliance with all mandated safety standards and recommendations of:
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- National Institute of Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- State-specific standards, guidelines, laws and codes
- Science education professional standards
- State departments of education standards, guidelines and regulations
- Hazard Assessments of Schools meet the requirements of state OSH and federal OSHA programs.
We aid pre-service and in-service science educators and school administrators in:
- Locating and applying applicable federal and state laws, codes, and professional standards
- Evaluating and managing chemical inventories electronically
- Developing a total Chemical Management System
- Conducting and prioritizing a science laboratory Needs Assessment Program
- Developing a comprehensive chemical management system
- Developing and implementing a sustainable Chemical Hygiene Plan (required by federal laws effective January 31, 1991)
- Developing and implementing sustainable Hazard Communication, Chemical Hygiene, Bloodborne and Emergency Action Plans
- Providing professional development classes for K-12 teachers and administrators and pre-service and student teachers for colleges and university science education classes in all states
- Providing one-week professional development for Safety Facilitators Seminars for LEA and college/university science education personnel